If you have a question that does not appear below, please contact a Local officer or representative.

Who are we and what do we do?

Please see About Us.

I received a notice that I am being sued for a job-related incident. What do I do?

Union members should immediately call PORAC Legal Defense Fund (LDF) at 1-800-255-5610.

I received a notice that I am a target in a criminal investigation stemming from a job-related incident. What do I do?

Union members should immediately call PORAC Legal Defense Fund (LDF) at 1-800-255-5610.

I received a proposal for a suspension; What do I do?

Union members should immediately contact a Local representative for assistance. You only have ten days to respond to a proposal for discipline so do not delay or you risk losing your opportunity to respond.

I have an issue that I want addressed. What do I need to do and is there a deadline?

Immediately contact a Local representative at your location to discuss the issue. The deadline to file a grievance is 30 days from the date the incident occurred or the Union/employee became aware of the incident.

What is PORAC Legal Defense Fund?

The PORAC (the Police Officers Research Association of California) Legal Defense Fund (LDF) is one of the many benefits of being a member of the National Border Patrol Council. Visiit the PORAC Legal Defense Fund website and learn more about this valuable legal representation available only to dues-paying members. NBPC members fall under Plan II of the Legal Defense Fund.

What would happen if nobody volunteered to run the NBPC?

The NBPC would just be a bank account.  The NBPC requires volunteers to administer the daily business, represent employees, respond to agency correspondence, etc. Far too many members do not realize the NBPC is only as strong as the members.  If every member recognized the importance of being an active participant in their Union, then members would be better educated and more likely to prevent many of the unsafe working conditions that we face on a daily basis.  Being an active participant no longer means attending the monthly Union meetings.  The NBPC has gone to great lengths to make information available to every member and to make it easier than ever before to contact a National and Local officers and representatives. For various reasons, many issues are unable to be discussed in public forums, but members are free to contact National and Local officer and representatives at any time to make a suggestion, discuss an issue, seek assistance, or ask a question.

What is the budget for the NBPC?

The NBPC operates under an budget approved by the delegates at the national convention, in accordance with the NBPC Constitution. Locals operate under a separate budget established by local members and in accordance with the respective Local Constitution and By-Laws.

How do I become a member?

Contact a union representative at your assigned duty location for the form.

When are Union Meetings?

The National Border Patrol Council holds a convention every three years. During the in-between years, the NBPC holds a business meeting. Delegates are elected to attend the convention because this is the only event where officers are elected and changes to the Constitution and By-Laws can be considered. Locals hold meetings at different times of the year depending on the local. Check with your Local for info on meetings.

Does the NBPC or my Local ask for input from the members before negotiating policies?

The NBPC seeks input from local board members when notified of an upcoming change by the agency that involves a negotiation. Due to certain restrictions by policy or regulation, many topics are not able to be disclosed or discussed in a public forum.

A Local has ten days to respond to a notice of change. Therefore, Locals typically seek input from union representatives before responding to proposed changes. In many cases, the Local board members typically ask union representatives to seek input at their respective stations before providing feedback to the board member responsible for drafting a response or negotiating a change.

Do non-dues paying members receive service from the union?

Only to the minimum extent required by law where the NBPC is designated as the exclusive representative and the non-member is not authorized their own representative.

Does the union provide union benefits?

Click here to visit the AFGE benefits page to learn more about benefits available only to AFGE Union members.

Click here to visit the AFL/CIO benefits page to learn more about benefits available only to Union members.

What amount of my dues go toward political contributions?

$0.00 – The union is prohibited by federal law from using dues for political contributions. Political contributions are only made using separate funds obtained from members who voluntarily contribute to a Political Action Committee (PAC).

A representative at my station is negotiating with station management and changing policies and/or working conditions without our knowledge.  Is this appropriate and if not, what can I do?

Station Representatives may be delegated to negotiate with management. When in doubt, please contact a local board members to verify this delegation.

If I transfer to another sector, can I remain a member of the Local I left?

No, contact the gaining Local to have your membership transferred. The NBPC is not responsible for the termination of dues; the member and HRMO are solely responsible for terminating dues. The NBPC cannot cancel membership. Only the agency has the authority to do so after the employee authorizes the cancellation on form SF-1188. Requests to terminate dues allotments are effective the first full pay-period following September 1, if the request is received in the Servicing Human Resource Office by September 1.

Locals are not informed when employees transfer, promote, or submit an 1188 and cannot refund dues that continue to be paid. As such, it is the responsibility of an to take the appropriate action and to verify dues are cancelled.  If the dues were not terminated after properly submitting an 1188 or transferring to a non-bargaining unit position, contact a mission support specialist for assistance.

Why is the NBPC affiliated with the AFL-CIO?

In order to remain the exclusive labor organization, the National Border Patrol Council, through AFGE, maintains affiliation with AFL-CIO.  The AFL-CIO per capita is paid for by AFGE and as of 2006, amounted to $0.54 per month per member (or $6.48 per year).

The NBPC must work through internal measures to change the position of AFL-CIO.  Since AFL-CIO represents over 11 million workers in the United States, the NBPC only represents a very small fraction; thereby making us an overwhelming minority.  In order for change to occur, the NBPC must convince AFGE, the various Councils within AFGE, and other Unions affiliated with AFL-CIO to support the needs of our bargaining unit.

What about FLEOA or Wright & Co. Insurance?

The NBPC has historically recommended all agents supplement union membership with professional liability insurance to provide an extra layer of protection for civil matters.  AFGE also offers professional liability insurance which is comparable to the insurance offered by Wright & Co.

FLEOA is designed for federal law enforcement officers who do not have collective bargaining rights or an exclusive representative (Union).  FLEOA is a great option if you are employed in a job with no collective bargaining rights. FLEOA does a tremendous job of representing the interests of criminal investigators and Air Marshals. FLEOA is not a replacement for the Union and any knowledgeable FLEOA officer will say the same.

NBPC officers and representatives frequently hear members mistakenly stating how FLEOA offers the same coverage as the NBPC and/or a Local for less money.  Although it is true FLEOA does cost less than being a member of the NBPC, the coverage is significantly different. In late 2006, a national committee member conducted research on the coverage offered by FLEOA and Wright & Co. and compared it to the coverage offered by the NBPC.  In conducting the research, a representative from Wright & Co. was contacted and questions about coverage were asked. A majority of the responses were “I do not know”, but then they directed the officer to read the specimen benefit plan.  After reading the document, it was possible to determine the coverage provided to use in completing the chart below.

In addition, the officer contacted a FLEOA Vice President and spoke with him directly.  The officer explained the purpose of the call was to gather information about FLEOA to compare the coverage. The FLEOA VP stated that FLEOA does not want NBPC members to drop the Union and join FLEOA.  He said all of the FLEOA Directors realize the importance of the NBPC and admitted that FLEOA is not designed to support our membership.